sugar cookies


When I was little, my mom made rolled sugar cookies for every holiday: hearts for Valentine's Day, bunnies and chicks for Easter, pumpkins and witches for Halloween, candy canes and reindeer for Christmas, and so on. I try to do this for my kids whenever I can. 

The secret to making tender, melt-in-your-mouth sugar cookies is to handle the dough very gently when mixing in the flour. Too much beating will make the cookies tough. Also, my mom rolls the dough between two sheets of parchment paper instead of using flour to prevent them from sticking. I do use a sprinkle of flour on the countertop when I roll out the dough, but just barely enough to keep them from sticking. I find that I can use less flour if I use well chilled dough (at least a couple of hours in the fridge).

Sugar Cookies
(makes about 2-3 dozen cookies, depending on cookie cutters)

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cream of tartar

To decorate: Vanilla Buttercream (half recipe), coloured sprinkles

Preheat oven to 350 degrees with rack in the centre of the oven. Beat together the sugar, butter, vanilla and almond extracts, and egg. Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Shape the dough into a ball; press it down to form a more or less flat disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.


Cut chilled dough into four equal pieces. Between two sheets of parchment paper (or on a lightly floured surface), roll one piece of dough until it's about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes and bake about 8-10 minutes or until cookies are set (they should not be golden brown). Let cool; frost and decorate with sprinkles.


No comments:

Post a Comment